Well that was real mature...

Well that was real mature...

Monday, April 20, 2015

Personal Appearance: Marble City ComiCon in Knoxville, TN

My Adventures In Pulp partner Matthew Childers, has been burning up the comic book convention circuit of late. I'll confess it's a little harder for me. Xander is older and therefore and I'm trying to be as involved as I can before he gets too old for me and moves on to middle and high school, which means my weekends are packed with wrestling matches, baseball games, play performances, etc. There are other considerations as well. As a writer, when we sell issues of Adventures in Pulp, those are a break even situation where we hope we can recoup the cost of printing and hopefully have some copies left over to give away to editors and publishers. I'm not a Grant Morrison or Mark Waid. The super stars may get paid to appear or at the least get accommodations and travel taken care of. I'm no where near that level, so any appearance I make comes out of pocket. On the flip side Matt can do commissions, sell prints, or sketches and he can break even on his hotel, food and gas. In fact, if the show goes real well, he might even have a little extra for his pocket.

I shoulda learned to draw. But it is what it is. Sometimes self promotion costs a little.

Matt asked if I wanted to join him for Marble City ComiCon in Knoxville, TN.  The timing is right in the heart of baseball season, so I told him that I probably would not be able to make it. I never gave it another thought until one day I was on twitter and saw the con mentioned. Ironically, I was going to ask Matt if he was free for dinner. We used to go out pretty regularly, but it was such a busy winter with Xander's wrestling, we never seemed to be able to work out a definite time. With the exception of ETSUCon back in February, Matt and I have not been in the same room since before the holidays. So I asked if he was going to the Con over the weekend and he told me that it was the following weekend on April 25 & 26th.

My heart skipped a beat. It's rare when things work out. April 25th was the ONLY Saturday for the 3 months of baseball season that Xander didn't have practice or a game. Serendipity steal my heart. So it looks like I will join Matt in Knoxville on the 25th. Please come by and say "hi." We will be at table #701.

To find out details on the convention go to: www.marblecitycomicon.com

Don't forget to check Adventures In Pulp. We are up to Page 8 on our current short story ASHES OF THE IMMORTALS over at www.adventuresinpulp.com.

You know, now that I think about it, I got distracted by the confusion over the dates and never did ask Matt about dinner...


No comments:

Post a Comment