Well that was real mature...

Well that was real mature...

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Less is More, Part 2: Artist Unchained, Writer Playing Close to the Vest

ADVENTURES IN PULP WRITER'S COMMENTARY

HAWK AND A HANDSAW PAGE 6

            Not a lot to tell on this one, as I said on the previous page, I wanted to let the visuals propel the narrative for this part of the story.  My script page was even more simple than what Matt came up with. He really kicks it out here making sure all the scripted beats were there but using the script as more of a guideline than scripture set in stone. Since it was so brief I'll just include it for you to compare.

Page 6 - Three panels.

PANEL 1
A nurse is outside Carlos' room looking at the door because she hears:

SFX: KRA-KOOM!

PANEL 2
She is in the doorway with the door open. The wall has been ripped away at the window.

PANEL 3
She is closer to the hole in the wall.  Carlos is in the air flying away (although at a glance it could look like falling)

             You'll notice in my script I was still playing it close to the vest for as long as I possibly could. Carlos could be falling or flying and we don't actually see him tear a hole in the wall, it could have been a lightening strike or something else. I love the look Matt puts on Carlos' face, a sheer look of joy, as well as putting the sound effect over the image of the institution which, as I mentioned back on page one, looks like an old horror film castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment