Well that was real mature...

Well that was real mature...

Saturday, March 8, 2014

I Must Have Taken a Wrong Turn in Albuquerque (aka Xenon is South of Krypton)

ADVENTURES IN PULP WRITER'S COMMENTARY

HAWK AND A HANDSAW PAGE 2
http://adventuresinpulp.com/hawk-and-a-handsaw-page-2/

            This is a pretty straightforward continuation of page one. We introduce El Supremo, our satire of Superman. I knew from the beginning that I wanted a Latino in the Superman role as a commentary on the illegal alien aspect. I have always found it funny that one of the great symbols of  American pop culture and Americana is Superman - an illegal alien. Literally. The origin as originally scripted was going to be a single "large central panel that bleeds multiple images together" but Matt did a neat thing separating the images but weaving them like piece of cloth or a film strip across the page. While the origin is the primary point of the page, the continued conversation between Dr. Peters and Dr. Felicity set up an important future plot point, as well as cements their characters' personalities.

            I also managed to work in both name gags onto this page. Carlos Cabrera and Baxter Bayne our send ups of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. The alliteration is intentional, like so many of Stan Lee's comic book creations. I'll admit my naming gags can get complicated (I do have to amuse myself). Anyone who follows me on twitter knows my son got me into baseball, so I wanted a Latino last name that sounded like Kent. I went with Venezuelan Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera. I chose Carlos simply because they sounded good together.  While with the other name I just went through substituting other letters in place of the W in Wayne. B just sounded best and I picked Baxter because of the Fantastic Four's Baxter Building (and the alliteration). I admit I almost went with Virgil Vayne,  Zack Zayne, or Carl Cayne. but they all sounded too European sounding). I like the end note which sets up the next page nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment